- Gollavar Agraharam Road, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- 044 23460825, 23460826
After the war, in 1948, it reopened its branch in Colombo. Indian Bank also reopened its branches in Burma, Malayan and Singapore, the last in 1962. The Burmese government nationalised all foreign banks, including Indian Bank’s branch, in 1963.
The 1960s saw IB expand domestically as it acquired Rayalaseema Bank (est. 1939), Mannargudi Bank (est. 1932), Bank of Alagapuri, Salem Bank (est. 1925), and Trichy United Bank. (Trichy United was the result of the 1965 merger of Woraiyur Commercial Bank, the Palakkarai Bank and the Tennur Bank.) These were all small banks with the result that all the acquisitions added only about 38 branches to IB’s network. Trichy United had five branches and its acquisition in 1967 brought the number of IB branches up to 210.
Then on 19 July 1969 the Government of India nationalised 14 top banks, including Indian Bank. One consequence of the nationalisation was that the Malaysian branches of nationalised Indian banks were forbidden to continue to operate as branches of the parent. At the time, Indian Bank had three branches, and Indian Overseas Bank, and United Commercial Bank had eight between them. In 1973 the three established United Asian Bank Berhad to amalgamate and take over their Malaysian operations.
International expansion continued in 1978 with IB becoming a technical adviser to PT Bank Rama in Indonesia, the result of the merger of PT Bank Masyarakat and PT Bank Ramayana. Two years later, IB, Bank of Baroda, and Union Bank of India established IUB International Finance, a licensed deposit taker in Hong Kong. Each of the three banks took an equal share in the joint venture.
Please login to add your review.